Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Last Saturday in September

Gosh, I can't believe that yesterday was the first time I'd blogged about football for a while...well a few posts ago hehe. After a heartstopping preliminary final, the moment I've been waiting for for the last 12 months has arrived....this Saturday the Eagles have their chance to get revenge on Sydney.

The 2005 AFL Grand Final was on Saturday 24th September 2005. Kate and I decided it was far too boring to watch the match at my place and that we'd much rather be in an exciting, rowdy atmosphere with plenty of other passionate Eagles' fans - a local pub.

Eventually we decided on Cheers in Vic Park as the destination where we would watch Eagles' premiership glory. I emailed fellow footy fanatics (even Dorkers fans) and invited them to join us. But no-one else could make it. So Kate and I went on our own but it was all good!

We hadn't booked a table and thought we might have to sit outside but luckily someone had booked but not turned up, so a very kind couple let us share their table. The place was decked out with yellow and blue balloons. It was buzzing. I was so disappointed when I found out Phil Matera was ruled unfit and was therefore not playing.

The match begun. It was so loud we couldn't hear the commentators but it didn't matter. It was great when we'd get a goal and everyone would rise and cheer and just go bezerk. I love watching footy with fanatics or going to games. There's no way you can look stupid among people who are just as crazy. At the next table were a group of middle aged women. They were all Eagles fans except for one. Every time Sydney got a goal she'd stand up all alone wearing her red and white fro wig and scarf and blowing a little horn. She'd probably had a few drinks but I still thought she had some nerve ;)

By half time it wasn't looking good, but I still held out hope. Then we started our comeback. I remember when Sydney was kicking it out from defence and I think it went straight to Ben Cousins. He goaled and from that moment I thought the premiership was ours. But then Sydney hit the front again. I started wailing that we were going to lose by some ridiculously small margin but Kate was adamant that I shouldn't talk so negatively and that there was still hope. I wanted to believe it but when Leo Barry took the match-saving mark for Sydney, I knew it was over.

Then the closet Sydney fans started to emerge from the cracks in the walls or wherever else they'd been hiding. They ran riot, heckling brokenhearted Eagles fans and popping the balloons. We were disgusted at their behaviour. I drove Kate home with my Eagles flag still flying proudly out of my car window. I don't remember being sad, just numb but still so terribly proud to be an Eagles fan. They'd done their very best.

Looking back, it didn't really feel like a grand final. Sure, the hype was there but I think it was because so many grand finals over the past decade had been one-sided, that it seemed odd to have a close one. When the Eagles last won in 1994, I was 11 and in Year 6 at Albany Primary. Last year I was 22 and I thought how ironic it was that I'd had to double my age in order to see the Eagles in another grand final.

I remember being a bit mad later when I got an sms from a friend who doesn't follow football or even know anything about it. She was rubbing it in and I just ignored her. I went home and defrosted my fridge, still feeling peaceful despite the loss.

Last Saturday, the 23rd September 2006, exactly 364 days since the grand final disappointment, I watched the Eagles win the preliminary final in a heartstopper at Craig's place with fellow Eagles fans from church and a few others. It was such a great atmosphere and this Saturday, Craig is kindly having us over to do it all again. Later that night, I went out to dinner with Sarah D, Sam, Jill, Ali, Richard E and Rohan to guess where.....Cheers. It had taken me just under a year to go back there (not deliberately though of course).

GO EAGLES!

Isaiah 40:31
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.





Kate and I at Cheers last year. This was taken at half time.

No comments: