Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ageism

There are the usual 'isms' when it comes to discrimination and ridicule - sexism, racism, fatism, ableism......

And then there's ageism.

Ageism is when people discriminate or ridicule another person based on their age. It is most commonly used to refer to discrimination against older people but I think people seldom consider the effect it has on the young.

That's what I'm going to blog about.

It is something I've been thinking about for a while. I'm 25 and while I'm not as young as some people, in the grand scheme of things I am still considered quite young. In regards to the Bible verse I posted yesterday, it doesn't leave a lot of room for Christian young people to be silly and immature. No, we are called to set an example for fellow believers in the way we live. It is quite remarkable that this verse asks me to set an example for those who are much older and considered more mature and experienced. That's a big ask but it's an example I really want to set. Not so I can be seen as a super Christian but because that is the life the Lord has set me free to live.

But in reality, I have found it to be a tough walk when ageism creeps into the picture. Having youth on my side is a great feeling, it brings me joy and enthusiasm for life (most of the time). Yet, it seems that as I strive to be a godly young person there will always be others waiting to tear me down simply because of my age. It doesn't matter how mature I am, how wise I am, how godly I am, even if I actually have more experience in an area.....to some people I will always be silly little Sarah. I hate patronising behaviour and it seems I will never be able to prove myself to these people. I can never catch up to their age - I will get older but so will they. In my relatively short adult life, I have been patronised at uni, at work and sadly, even at church.

The surprising thing is that is isn't usually 'old' people who are doing the patronising, it's those who are often less than a decade older than myself! I have mostly been patronised by people in their 30s....people with only slightly more life experience. I don't get it; I could almost understand being patronised by a woman in her 70s but people in their 30s? Why do they do this? I was thinking perhaps some people are sensitive about their age (even though I would never consider them 'old' by any means) so they lash out in their jealousy at my youth to take the spotlight off their own insecurities. I have also discovered that these people are happy for me to lead, to show them things they don't know, to carry the load but once I've finished I'm back to being a child in their eyes. Some people have cracked stupid jokes such as "Sarah's too little to do this with us" and it really riles me when I'm the youngest and there are people there who are only too happy to point it out. And I should also point out that most of the people who have patronised me are women. I have found older men mostly to be nothing but encouraging. It's women that seem to delight in tearing younger women down.

Ageism is ridiculous. A person being older should mean that they have more wisdom but sadly they often do not. Life experience doesn't equal more wisdom. Some people never learn from their mistakes. There are some very mature 18-year-olds out there and some pretty immature 40-year-olds. I believe in taking people at face value, not making assumptions or picking on them because of their age. Let their life do the talking. I would never want to be ageist against an 18-year-old. It's sad that churches talk so much about the value of the youth in their congregations but instead of encouraging too often they are torn to pieces by bitter patronising people who should be mentoring them and building them up. I have often felt for young pastors who are patronised and their leadership disrespected by older members of their congregation. We are also told to respect older people but it must be hard for a 30-something year old guy to have a 70-year-old come up to them and say, "You young whipper snapper, you don't know anything." Obviously this is especially relevant to Timothy, the young pastor, to whom Paul wrote this letter.

As I get older, one of the most fabulous things is the diversity of my friends. I have friends ranging in age from their early 20s to early 40s. This is such a blessing and it shows how much age isn't really an issue. Instead of tearing down your younger friends, think of ways in which you can encourage them as young people. If you have issues with getting older, then deal with them - don't take it out on others.

So what encouragement does 1 Timothy 4:12 have for young people. Well, it gives me enormous responsibility for the way I live. The verse says don't let anyone look down on you because you are young. We can let those ridiculers be shamed by the godliness we display in our lives. Don't try to please them, chances are you never will. That is a big mistake I've made. Instead fix your eyes on God as he is the one who will say "Well done, good and faithful servant."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have struggled with this too. Actually your post reminded me of a short post I did a while ago. When I looked it up it was from 2006, here:

http://blogs.oddsocks.net/ahunt/2006/03/28/love-dear-sweetieaaargh/

I suppose what I've surrendered to doing is just not thinking about it for myself and taking no notice of how people treat me, this is not easy to do. Also, I am highly aware of those who are young, say 14 and up as to the fact that they really just want to be talked to as a human being, not as a young human being. Funny thing happened on Sunday, I saw a girl who I'd had as a youth group leader (I was her leader) and she saw me with kids. Her comment was 'so you're a Mum, you're not a big kid any more'. Not sure how to take that one!

Sarah said...

It's the inconsistency that bothers me. When I'm doing something for them, they treat me as an equal and then when I'm finished they treat me like a child again. I just want to be treated like an adult human being.

I think when you're doing something like youth group leading where you have to be fun, energetic and good humoured, people can start treating you like you're immature because you have a sense of humour. People often say to me, "You're so funny" (even when I'm not intending to be humourous)and I think for that reason they somehow think of a laughing, humourous person as immature - which is really dumb IMO. It's frustrating because the older people who drive stupidly, drink too much, gossip and waste their money somehow get more respect automatically because they're older, it's like their lives count for nothing.

I just read your post. Imagine being called 'sweetie' by someone younger than you! Gah, now that would really be annoying!