Why is everyone currently OBSESSED with Masterchef, My Kitchen Rules and all that jazz?
Maybe it's because I couldn't eat half of the stuff they cook on these shows anyway. But even in my pre-arthritis and pre-low starch diet days, I never understood why some people are so tantalised by gloop, garnished with gloop, with more gloop on the side.
I'm proud to say I've never watched an episode of any cooking show. The most I've ever seen is a few seconds while I change channels, but when I've been asked if I've been watching Masterchef and reply 'no', the horrified looks I get are quite hilarious. It seems it is THE show to watch for Christians and I must be committing blasphemy by not tuning in.
If you want a reality cooking show, then come to my kitchen. 'Cooking with Sarah on the Farm' doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but you'd get to see me in all my cooking glory with no editing. Here's what you could expect:
- An improvised recipe due to me forgetting some of the ingredients, and now the shops are shut and just too far away anyway.
- Shooing Ebony out of the kitchen.
- Cooking by candlelight because the power's gone out (thank God for gas stoves and ovens).
- The smoke alarm going off (fortunately this is a rare occurrence and usually only happens when I get distracted).
- Me deciding to scrap the planned meal and do something easier instead.
I suspect the answer to this post may well be, "Each to their own." Other people probably don't understand why I like what I do either.
I don't get it. Please explain....