Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Writing Evangelism

I promised I'd write a post on why I want to be a writer so here it is. If this doesn't interest you in the slightest, feel free to have a snooze and come back for my next post - I don't mind ;)
There are two main reasons why I want to be a writer:

1. I enjoy it.
2. Writing is a great medium to spread the gospel.

I can already see a few Christians going "hmmmm" at my second point.

"Writing is impersonal," they say. "There is no relationship between writer and reader. What about discipleship?"

I can see their point. Writing is impersonal....and 'safe'. If my book ever gets published, I will have no idea who's reading it (except people I know) and what they thought of it. Sometimes, a reader may be impacted so much by a book they read, that they will contact the author and let them know so there IS a possibility for communication there. But even if they find a book revolutionary or life-changing, most people will not try to let the author know and the author has no idea if their work has borne any fruit.

I would love to write Christian fiction because there is such a lack of it that non Christians would actually read (it seems Middo has the same idea with his book). I'm not the least bit interested in those 18th century period Christian fiction books and I know a lot of my non Christian friends aren't either. What I am passionate about is seeing relevant Christian fiction popping up in Angus and Robertson and Dymocks rather than Koorong, where very few non Christians are going to go anyway.

I know there are people who think writing is not a good way to evangelise and that the only way to reach someone with the gospel is to tell it to them personally and then follow them up with 1-1 discipleship if they choose to follow Christ. Yes, I agree that is an ideal way but I also think there is no 'one way' to tell someone the gospel, only the command that we do it. What about those people who don't know any Christians? There are people who have become Christ-followers by picking up the Bible themselves and having a read and become convinced of the truth. Others have picked up a Christian book.

Reading a book does not replace discipleship but it is a way of communicating the gospel to readers who are potentially far far away. I may never know them or how they respond. But I'm excited that God may use me to plant a seed in someone and perhaps send someone else to water it. Not everyone is game enough to ask questions but they may choose to pick up a book first and investigate Christ on their own.

I was excited when I saw this conference advertised last year because we are both on about the same thing. Too bad I was at a wedding the same day and just couldn't afford to go to Sydney, otherwise I would have loved to have been there.
If you're a writer, let me encourage you to use your gift for God's glory. Even if you don't feel you're particularly 'gifted'.....write anyway :)




Info is here.

4 comments:

bek said...

Point 3. You are using the gift that God gave you for his glory.

I think this is just as important as well.

I think it is great you are writing, and you have goals too!!

Good work!!

Middo said...

Very cool! Like you said, there is no 'one way' for evangelism, most people who become Christian have had many small things perhaps coupled with a few major things.

I reckon books are a great tool:)

Good post!

Mark Edwards said...

Keep at it....use everything thing you have, in whatever way you can, to reach people for God.

Very interesting developments in the film industry as movies with a christian message are crossing over into the mainstream.

Sarah said...

Thanks everyone. I'll keep at it. Likewise, I give you the same encouragement in what you do.