Thursday, October 07, 2010

Finally Brides

My netball team won the local grand final a few weeks ago.  It should have been a joyous occasion since my team lost the grand final last year, had never won before, and had a long history of finishing runners-up.  I could tell this had been really eating away at my captain (who has been playing for 11 years) by all the emails she kept sending us, telling us we had to win.  We ended up winning by five goals 35-30.

But by the end of the night, I had a medal around my neck and felt like I did nothing to deserve it.  In the semi-final, I sat the first half on the bench since it was a rare occasion where we actually had a sub.  As I was just getting over a chest infection, this was fine by me.  In the grand final, the same thing happened except we got to three-quarter time and I still hadn't had a run.  Eventually they felt sorry for me and brought me on the for the fourth quarter, but in WD.  I'd played WA all year and get stuck in the worst stinkin' position ever for the grand final.

It was exciting to win, but I still feel like the weakest link that had to be kept off the court so my team would have a better chance.  Disappointing, even though I know it's a team sport.

Oh well!

1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

know what you mean - congrats none the less!