Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Know Him By Heart by Vonda Shepard

Today is Valentine's Day.  For some couples, it's a day to show how much they mean to each other.  For others, it's just like any other day.  Yet for some singles, it's a day that brings great sadness about a hope deferred.  When I was single, I was quite happy to let the day just pass on by.  I didn't want to have anti-Valentine's Day parties or listen to others moan and complain.  I just wanted to forget about it.  I tried to be content in my circumstances, but it wasn't easy.

This song from the Ally McBeal soundtrack summed up how I felt.  Despite wanting to just get on with things, I always held out hope that I would one day meet my life partner.  I knew he wouldn't be perfect, or my soul mate, or whatever some people call it.  But he would be worth waiting for.

'Cause I know he's out there somewhere,
Just beyond my reach.
Though I never really touched him,
Or ever heard him speak.
Though we've never been together,
We've never been apart.
No, we haven't met.
Haven't found him yet,
But I know him by heart.

Am I living an illusion?
Wanting something I can't see?
If I compromise, I'd be living lies,
Pretending love's not meant to be.
'Cause I know my heart's worth saving,
And I know that he'll be waiting,
So I'll hold on and I'll stay strong,
'Til then.

No comments: