Monday, November 30, 2015

5 More Health Problems I Had While in Hospital

As if having postnatal depression and anxiety wasn't enough...

1.  The Flu
At first the nurses thought it might be mastitis, but it turned out to be the flu.  My temperature went up to 39 and I had a sore, achy body.  I was kept in isolation for a day so as not to spread it to the other ladies and babies.

2.  Low Vitamin D, Iron and Calcium
I've only ever been low in iron before.  I guess the pregnancy and postnatal period drained my body. Now I'm on a variety of supplements.

3.  A Rash
A hideous rash started on my face and spread right down my chest and my arms.  The doctors think it was an allergic reaction to an antibiotic they put me on (I've never been allergic to any medication before).  In the new year, I'll be heading back to this hospital for testing in the immunology department to confirm this.

4.  Abnormal Blood Tests
Routine blood tests showed there might be something wrong with my thyroid and hormone levels, and there was a possibility there could be a growth on my pituitary gland.  They repeated the tests, just to make sure it wasn't a mistake, and thankfully the initial test was wrong.  Phew!

5.  Abdominal Diastasis

The nurses were concerned that my stomach was still rather protruding and wanted the doctor to check me out.  After ruling out a hernia, he got a physiotherapist to see me and it turns out I have a 3cm abdominal muscle separation.  I carried all out the front with Flynn and my already weak abdominal muscles were stretched to capacity.  I have a few months of physio ahead and, if that doesn't work, I'll opt for surgery.  The last thing I need is people asking me if I'm pregnant again!

No comments: