Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mystery Revealed

Well, I know you've all just been hanging out for me to announce the (not so pleasant) reason I'm in Albany at the moment.

Well.....on Friday......in Albany Hospital.....I had all four of wisdom teeth removed...AAAAGH!

For one that doesn't like pain....that's a big deal. I checked in at 7am and was placed in the Day Procedures Unit with the other poor souls who were there for the same reason as I was. I was last on the list and was due to go in at 12.15 but then they changed the list around and I was still last but several more people were placed in front of me in the queue. Grrrr. Since I had to fast from the night before, I WAS STARVING!! So I waited...and read...and waited...and dozed....and waited....and watched the others come back with icepacks around their faces, looking pretty out of it. I just wanted to get it over with and finally....at about 3.30pm....it was my turn.

I was a bit nervous and while I can handle needles ok, I wasn't looking forward to being on a drip. Fortunately they put it in my arm and not my hand which would have hurt more I reckon.
After it was over, I began the recovery process which was difficult as the lower half of my face was pretty much numb and I couldn't feel myself drinking. Eventually, at 8.15, I was allowed to go home.

The recovery process isn't going too badly and I'm grateful to God that everything went ok and I haven't got any infections or anything so far. At times, I've found myself getting very irritable and I'm not sure why but I haven't exactly been the most good tempered person to be around at home. I feel bad about that. I look a bit like a Cabbage Patch doll so I'm keeping inside out of sight. My diet mainly consists of soup, yogurt, porridge, jelly and Yogo and I've watched plenty of videos. I also have to remember to take all of my pills, rinse my mouth and keep the icepacks on my face. Yesterday, my good friend, Rianna who lives down here, came to visit and brought me a lovely bunch of flowers. Nice!

So far, I've got all the feeling back in my face, except for parts of my tongue. Apparently that can indicate a nerve was bruised and it should heal soon.

Photos will follow shortly.

2 comments:

Duncan said...

AAAhhhhh!!! nothing to worry about see, dear:) easy for me to say that! I guess the waiting would have been rather annoying... but God looked after you! I reckon a lot of people were praying for you. Thank the Lord for drugs, and ice packs... Keep resting though, time is the essence for healing! can't wait to see the pics:)

Anonymous said...

and here I was thinking you had a funeral or something to go to! Wisdom teeth...pffft!

(starts to rock crazily in the corner as he remembers that he has 4 wisdom teeth that, at some stage, will have to come out...)