Thursday, April 19, 2007

New Housemate

As some of you may know, my housemate Emma is getting married. Soon. In just over three weeks in fact.

So I need to find a new housemate and while I haven't managed to find a human one yet, I now have one of another variety.















I wasn't planning on getting a cat - it just happened. About a month ago, I found some kittens abandoned at the uni campus where I work. They looked like they were starting to go a bit feral, so I jumped onto the Cat Haven website to find their phone number. Anyway, the kittens disappeared so I couldn't catch them but I found pictures of many beautiful cats and I was hooked!!

Since I'm renting, I had to ask the owner permission to have a cat. While I waited for a reply, Duncan said he would be happy to have a cat up at his farm in Buntine. The reply was YES!!

A few weeks ago, Duncan and I went with our friend, Sarah to the Cat Haven in Shenton Park and I met and fell in love with Ebony (pictured above). A couple of days later I went back and bought her and put her in the Cat Haven boarding kennels while Duncan and I were in Dunsborough. Then she came with home with me nine days ago.

Ebony is one year old (approx.) and her name is from the family she previously belonged to. She had been in the Cat Haven for longer than most of the cats there and while they took very good care of her, she knows she's got a good home now. She's been sterilised, deflead, dewormed, vaccinated and microchipped. Her coat is the softest I've ever felt. I wanted an adult cat from a pound because everyone just seems to want kittens and the poor adults (who are usually more sensible and house-trained) have to wait longer for new homes.

In describing her personality, I have to say well.....she's a typical cat! All over you one minute (especially if I'm chopping up meat) and a bit stand offish the next. She quickly made herself at home, sitting on all the comfortable chairs, expecting to sleep in my bed (she doesn't) and looks at Emma and I with such superiority, I bet she's thinking, 'aha I have TWO staff'.

She really is such a dear little cat and very easygoing despite a few bursts of silliness here and there (you know those moments where cats get that mad look in their eyes and go racing around everywhere, chasing their own tails?). I love her purrs and little chirps (half meow, half purr) and stroking her is very therapeutic, especially since I've been so stressed over the past few months.

I wrote this song in her honour (see if you can guess which song it's based on)

Oh, black kitty (bam-ba-lam)
Oh, black kitty (bam-ba-lam)
Black kitty had no child (bam-ba-lam)
Cos she was sterilised (bam-ba-lam)
She's very pretty (bam-ba-lam)
And a little bit silly (bam-ba-lam)
Oh, black kitty (bam-ba-lam)
Oh, black kitty (bam-ba-lam)

Here's some more photos of my beautiful and elegant black panther.








































3 comments:

bek said...

oh she is precious!!

we both have babies now!

good on ya getting an older cat. I desperately wanted to get an older dog, but couldnt while staying at mum and dads, but hopefully we will get another one, a little bit older to be jet's older bro or sis. help keep him company and such.

She is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

aww so cute:) I love cats, miss having one terribly. Even if I wanted to have one now, my landlord would say no as w have about 4 cats in the surrounding unit blocks and they have caused a fair bit of trouble at times:P

Sarah said...

Thanks guys. Yes, she is beautiful (proud mother in me).

Now I just need to find a new human housemate who likes and is not allergic to cats :)