Friday, September 21, 2007

Diary of a Wedding Planning Machine: Reception Venue Dramas

I blogged a few weeks back that all was well in the reception venue department. Well, a few weeks ago, Duncan and I got some bad news.

One of the reasons we chose our venue was that they were not one of those greedy mongrels that make you pay to set the room up the day before.

Then I got a call from my mum saying they had suddenly brought in this new fee, charging us an extra $450 (approx.) to hire the room for half a day the day before to set up. They had not mentioned this fee when I first checked the room out and when we tentatively booked it. It was not mentioned on any of the leaflets we were given. They had just suddenly decided to screw us over for more money.

To say I was angry was an understatement. I hate being ripped off and taken for a ride. I don't care if they'd only decided to charge us an extra $20 - it's not the amount, it's the principle of the thing. I'm not one of those types who'll just lie down and pay the extra money.

Dunc and I drove around madly a few Saturdays ago looking for an alternative venue (which we didn't find).

Luckily I have a very sweet talking mother who rang them up and convinced them to drop the fee. She can charm the birds out of the trees when she wants.

So all is good again, we can keep the 12th April as our wedding date and our reception place has avoided a name and shame on my very public blog haha.

We also ended up going with WA Spit Roast as our caterer. Their prices are good and they have been recommended to us by two other people who have used them for weddings. We chose our menu online - easy!

If you're planning a wedding - beware! A lot of companies will just hear the word 'wedding' and try and rip you off!

No comments: