Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Facebook Geek

I never thought it would happen....but I'm pretty hooked on Facebook.

I was very sceptical when a friend invited me to join. I thought, "Hmmm, another timewaster. I already have my blog....that's enough."

At first it just seemed too weird. Adding strange applications such as aquariums, gardens, buying drinks for people (yes, I'm serious - people actually pay real money to buy their friends a virtual drink) and doing things to people such as karate chopping them, hugging them and throwing sheep at them.

But Facebook sucks you in...slowly but surely.

The things I like best about it is that it helps you keep in touch with people and find long lost friends. Just yesterday a girl whose name I didn't recognise invited me to be her 'friend' on Facebook. It turned out it was an old friend of mine from primary school whom I hadn't seen pretty much since then. She's now married (that's why I didn't recognise her name) and is living over east, in Newcastle. I recognised her by her photo. It's great for stuff like that. Sharing photos online is good too.

It also has its drawbacks. I read Facebook is costing workplaces millions of dollars in time wasted by their employees. I guess, as a Christian, I want to use my time wisely. Facebook is good but it's a bit sad if I spend all day on there. It's also sad if I only ever talk to my Perth friends via Facebook instead of catching up face to face.

I went out to dinner a little while ago with a friend who is also on Facebook. We agreed that it's such fun finding people on there and seeing what they're up to and that it's sad when they set their profiles to private - then we can't stalk them hehe.

Do you use Facebook? Do you like it? What do you reckon are it's pros and cons? Or are you one of those who couldn't care less? I've tried to get Duncan to join but he refuses.

6 comments:

Scott Parker said...

I'm fairly new to facebook & havent had a decent look at it. At this stage I just send the odd message to friends. Don't get time for muc else.

bek said...

Ive been on it for a month and I think Ive only checked it once!!

I just dont have the time to put much effort into it!!

ill try look you up though! Ive only got like 3 friends....snif.... :)

Sarah said...

I'll find both you guys and add you (if you don't add me first hehe).

It's good that you get an email when someone writes on your wall so you don't have to keep checking it all the time.

Anonymous said...

"I read Facebook is costing workplaces millions of dollars in time wasted by their employees"

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!! I'm surely one of them! But hey, my excuse is little distraction here and there increase my productivity when I do get into my real work, he he he!

Duncan said...

you never know babe, I might join on our holiday!!

Sarah said...

Ah, peer pressure has got to him :)