Thursday, November 29, 2007

Nine Inch Nails

Recently, I volunteered to be a nail model for a friend of a friend who is doing a nail technician course. So I got a free set of French nails.

Now those who know me know I'm not really girly. I don't wear heaps of makeup, I don't spend a fortune on my hair and I keep my nails so short all the time, partly because I got used to it after playing netball for many years. I really don't care less about my nails as long they're not in really bad shape or have enough dirt for a garden underneath them. You'd never see me in one of those express nail salons.

I had a manicure for Emma's wedding and it was weird being so careful with my hands. I did manage to chip one within a few hours and patched it up with liquid paper (classy...not!). The whole time I just couldn't stand having longer nails and longed to take the nail clippers to them. And to think some people don't reckon I'll make a very good farmer's wife ;)

Crystal (the chick doing the nail course) did a great job for her first time and my nails looked the classiest they'd ever looked. Yesterday she did the rebalance because my real nail was starting to show under the acrylic but she only had time to do one hand. Tonight she came around and removed them.

Despite my hands looking very posh, I initially found it very frustrating having to be careful washing the dishes or doing gardening. I couldn't pick things and undoing the clasps on my necklaces was difficult. Plus I was forever getting stuff stuck under them. But after about three weeks I was fairly used to them.

Even though I'm definitely not a nails person, I've volunteered to help her again when she next needs a model. Maybe next time I'll ask for claws ;)

2 comments:

bek said...

I got them done for my wedding and it's the only thing I regret doing. They weren't very natural or very me.

I have long natural nails and like to keep them long because Russell likes them long, I can scrape them on his belly...I don't get it either!!!

It's a pain having to tape them every single week for netball and sometimes I just chop them and start again.

Hey, are you going to give us any updates on where you and duncan will be living?? will you really become a farmers wife?? it'd be so cool if you did!!

Sarah said...

Stay tuned for the 'big news'! :)