Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Can't Keep Up?

In the busyness of life, we often can't find the time to read as many blogs as we'd like.

RSS is the answer (if you didn't already know that).

I didn't know much about RSS until I had to teach a class on it at work last year. That made me motivated to learn about it for sure. You see, when I wanted to see if someone had updated their blog, I'd just click on the link to their blog from the sidebar on mine. This works fine in theory but some people have SO MANY blogs that they link to, it becomes hard to check them all the time. And then when you do check them, you find that the blogger still hasn't updated their blog after MONTHS so it seems like a waste of time checking it out.

RSS enables you to be informed when a fellow blogger has updated their blog. Instead of you going to their blog, their blog comes to you. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication (and there are other abbreviation explanations as well, depending on which site you go to). You can install an RSS reader and subscribe to individual blogs that you enjoy reading. Just Google "RSS reader" and whole heap will come up. Most are free. The one I used at work was RSS Bandit but there are heaps of others. It takes a bit of getting used to. For some strange reason, I still enjoy going to individual blogs and having a squiz.

More info on RSS.

Why am I telling you this? Well, because when I'm on my honeymoon, I probably won't be able to blog much, if at all. I don't want to lose any readers so RSS will yet you know when I'm back on board again :)

3 comments:

bek said...

What happened on Fri/Sat night?

How did your Hens night go??

Sarah said...

Yeah it was good thanks. They dressed me up in Eagles colours, complete with veil and they all wore blue and gold as well. Then we went around Perth in a limo and then to Ferrara Karaoke Bar in the city. I LOVE karaoke so I was always going to have a good time. A few randoms came along (friends of friends) and seemed to really enjoy themselves. I was so glad they came instead of other people who actually told me and the bridesmaids that they didn't like karaoke and had a better offer to do something else.

On the other hand, some friends I know don't really like karaoke came along anyway just for me and I'm so grateful they made the effort.

bek said...

Well, I'm glad that you had a relatively good time!!

Karaoke!!! Even if you don't join in, it's just fun to watch!!! hehehehe