Thursday, May 22, 2008

Netball Wrap-Up

A few people have asked about how my first game of netball went last week. I left a comment on my original post here but thought I would provide a few more details.

My worries about having those 'win at all costs' types in my team turned out to be completely unfounded. My teammates are great, what I know of them so far. We didn't get much chance to talk except to quickly introduce ourselves but it was soon clear that some of them had been out of the game for a lot longer than me. They seem like a great bunch of laidback chicks and we are quite a diverse team too, ranging in age from maybe late 30s/early 40s right down to lower high school. Only in a country town could you get that. :)

My team, the Warriors, went down to the Shooters 36-24. I played GS for the first half and GA for the second and was surprised that I could actually still shoot and get the thing in. I used to play GS (goal shooter for those who don't know anything about netball) a lot when I played in Albany but I thought they'd prefer someone taller in the position. It turned out I'm one of the tallest in my team. That has never happened before! I'm only 164cm tall.

Apart from feeling quite fatigued and sore after the game, I had a great time and now we're up against the Skunks tonight. I'm not expecting to win. The Skunks are made up of teachers and students from Dally District High and I've seen them play...they're good. Oh well, we'll just do our best and have fun regardless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm a netball girl myself, played WA for years. Funny about the height thing, I think I'm around 161cm so to think that everyone was around my height is kinda funny!

Sarah said...

I reckon one of the girls in my team would definitely be 150-something cm. She's very short!