Thursday, May 08, 2008

Underbelly

The final episode of hit Australian TV series Underbelly screened last night.

I taped it due to being a bit behind in my viewing after the honeymoon. But it's not like I didn't know what was going to happen. We all know Carl Williams gets arrested, right?

Now it may sound strange to many of you, but Underbelly was what got me more excited than I have been in a long time. I was in Melbourne the week before it was launched and the hype was huge. It was also just before it got banned in Victoria for the time being. Everywhere I went on the tram, I looked around me and wondered if this location was going to feature in the series. I went to Carlton and walked past all the Italian restaurants, wondering if this was where the Carlton Crew once hung out.

You may think I'm a weirdo for being so excited about a TV series full of blood and guts, murder, crime, drugs and sex. Far out, I was planning a wedding and I was excited about that? I was excited for a few reasons:
  • The stellar cast. It's like a who's who of Australian TV.
  • The fact that it was based on real life events. I know a lot of it was fiction because a) most of the characters featuring in the series are now dead in real life and b) no-one was around to hear gangsters discussing crime. Those bits had to be fiction. I saw an interview with Vince Colosimo on YouTube and he said the fact that it was a based on real life was what made him want to be a part of it. I'm a bit of a history buff (even recent history).
  • The fact that it was based in the beautiful city of Melbourne.
  • It's eye-opening. This stuff was going on around many people and they didn't have a clue. I know nothing about the underworld.

I guess for many Christians, Underbelly may be a liberty garden issue. The fact that there's so much explicit language, nudity and sex may be too much of a temptation for some and to remain faithful to Christ, they may choose not to watch it. It's sad that the language is no different to what many of us hear every day.

I'm sorry the series has now ended. It was great seeing many of my TV favourites back on the box again. Melbourne is a great city but I can definitely see, like most cities, that it has an underbelly.

And I still can't get over Martin Sacks with that moustache. He'll always be PJ to me.

Did you watch Underbelly? What were your thoughts?

5 comments:

Mark Edwards said...

I watched it and loved it.

the whole Christian thing is interesting though.

we watch plenty of clips in church of movies etc as illustrations...but there is not much of Underbelly I could show in church...but I quite happily watch it, and discuss it with my small group....whats with that??

Anonymous said...

Awesome show, absolutely love it! I haven't watched the last episode yet either, will do that on the weekend. Mainly watch it because it's Aussie, and we heard so little of what was going on in WA.

Sarah said...

Ah finally she emerges with a comment :)

I guess in larger groups such as church (depending on your 'church' of course) it's easier to offend and there are more likely to be people who have chosen not to watch for various reasons.

But I too have discussed it with small groups of Christian friends who all seem to be in favour of the show. Maybe because in small groups, people's struggles and personal views come out more quickly....sometimes. Well, that's been my experience.

It's interesting that there are just as many movies that are as bloody and violent with the same language as Underbelly but I know many Christians who watch them without much thought. So why would some take offense at Underbelly? Maybe because they see it as 'real' and that's a bit too confronting for some?

Anonymous said...

Hi, just thought I'd drop by to say hello and see how you guys are settling. Hi to Dunc from us.

Sarah said...

Hi Amanda :) Yeah we're doing pretty well thanks. Slowly getting settled in. I just picked up another carload of my junk from Perth that needs to be sorted now :S. We'll get there....one day! Hope the pregnancy and packing are going well.