Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hobby Horses and Secret Struggles

Rodney from The Journey blog has written a good post in which he links to another blogger who reckons the things we are most passionate about are the things we are secretly struggling with. You can read it here. He uses several high profile preachers as examples of how often the topics a preacher most regularly preaches about are those that they are dealing with in their own lives. Do you agree? Are your hobby horses and rants the things which you wrestle with?

I agree partly. I think some people do this...but I'm not one of them. The things I've most passionately ranted about on my blog such as RSVPS and money management are not things I'm struggling with. In fact, I find them easy. I rant about those things because I've been hurt by those who are bad in these areas. I'm reacting out of hurt and a hope that if they listen to me or read what I write, they might know that it's a big deal to me because they sure don't seem to think so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you say, it doesn't fit in all cases but it is interesting that the things you say you're passionate about come out of your own hurts or struggles. In a very real sense your hobby horses are still directly linked to personal experience.

The struggle may not be linked to dealing with a hidden sin in your life but it is still your internal struggle of hurt and forgiveness being displayed in the things you're passionate about.