Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Excellent Esperance Expedition

After we spent a few days in Albany over the Christmas/Boxing Day period, we headed to Esperance for six nights of camping in our tent.  Since we had only used our tent once before since receiving it as a present, we were very much looking forward to this.  Unfortunately the day after we arrived was 45 degrees and, with only a tent for shelter, we were more than a tad uncomfortable.  We spent that day moving from place to place in a desperate attempt to get cool.  After an early morning trip to the beautiful Twilight Beach, we went to the airconditioned comfort of the shopping centre and spent most of the afternoon jumping in the pool at the caravan park we were staying at and sitting inside a shade house.  Finally, we went to see Sherlock Holmes at the cinema just to spend a few hours in airconditioning.  The night was horrible.  We lay awake in our tent, drenched in sweat, praying that the seabreeze would relieve us which it did....finally....at around midnight!

The other downside was I developed a nasty rash which spread across my chest.  It was angry, red and lumpy...and highly embarrassing so that I had to wear high-necked shirts just to hide it.  It finally subsided after days of taking antihistamine tablets and using hydrocortisone cream.  I have no idea what caused it, but the chemist suggested it was a reaction to sunscreen!

Fortunately the rest of our stay was very enjoyable.  It was Duncan's first visit to Esperance and my second having previously gone on a family holiday there in 2000 while I was in the middle of Year 12.  I'd fallen in love with Esperance on that first trip and after nine and a half years, I finally went back there.  The beaches and coastline are exquisite.  Our good friends, Sarah and Craig were holidaying there for part of the time we were so it was great catching up with them and doing things together.

If you ever do get the chance to go to Esperance, I highly recommend visiting Mermaid Leather.  It's a factory where they make leather products out of fish and shark skins...handbags, shoes, pens, jewellery - you name it!  You'll be amazed at what fish skins are useful for.

Sea lion

Hello there!

Craig and Sarah

Us on the jetty.

Lovely coastline




Beautiful Twlight Beach


The sexy man!


Lucky Bay in Cape Le Grand National Park where Sarah and Craig were camping.







The man going for a dip at Hellfire Bay.


Frenchman's Peak

Le Grand Beach

Thistle Cove I think



Our dwelling for the week.

Hmm I didn't know he'd taken this photo until I saw it on the camera.

Back at Twilight again.  Love it here!

Don't you dare take my picture!




Clearly he is meant to own this shop.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love the photos! Gorgeous shots of Esperance. Yes, clearly he is meant to own that IGA! He he.
Love your sleeping bag by the way.

Iris Flavia said...

I just so loved Esperance! Just... it was always too cold to go for a swim. And I´m really mad at myself I didn´t buy something from that fish-factory for my Mum, you´re right, it´s amazing what they can do with fish-skin!

Awww, great pics, really!