Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Year of Gilmore Girls

Earlier this year, Duncan and I finished watching the seventh and final season of Gilmore Girls.  It had take us just over a year to get through all seven seasons after borrowing the DVDs from two friends.

I rarely watch American shows, but this is one I highly recommend to you all.  Set in the fictional US town of Stars Hollow, Gilmore Girls is based around the lives of thirty-something single mother, Lorelai Gilmore, and her super-achieving teenage daughter, Rory.  The show follows their ups and downs, loves won and loves lost, the quirky characters in the town they live in, Rory's journey through high school and college, and Lorelai's prickly relationship with her wealthy and elitist parents, Emily and Richard.

We have a number of male friends who particularly enjoy the show, and not because of the good-looking female leads.  The fast-paced, witty dialogue often had Duncan (and I) in stitches.  The writing is ingenious.

I'm trying to think of just why Gilmore Girls appealed to me so much.  Maybe it's because I want the super-close relationship with my mother that Lorelai and Rory have.  Maybe it's because I can understand Lorelai's frustration of having parents who want you to be something you're not.  Maybe it's because I want to live in a community as fun and close-knit as Stars Hollow.  At times I found myself envying Rory because she's so smart and boys notice her.

A friend of ours reckoned the final episode was a let down, but I really disagree.  Without giving too much away, I thought it was realistic, without being schmaltzy, and uplifting at the same time.

I really, really recommend you watch this show.

If you've watched it, please share your thoughts.

1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

It´s my favorite show, too! Love the plot and the people :-)