Thursday, January 06, 2011

Small Groups: Head and Body

Whoa, long time since I have updated this series!

In my previous two posts, I discussed that groups need to lay down some ground rules when they commence meeting so that expectations are clear, and that there are advantages and disadvantages in single gender and mixed groups.

Another obvious question for a newly-formed group is: Who should lead?

In my experience, groups work best when there is a leader. It seems very nice and egalitarian to attempt a group without obvious leadership, but whether a leader is chosen or not, dominant personalities with leadership gifts tend to rise to the fore. In my opinion, this is a good thing, because if the group consisted of shy, compliant people, no major decisions would ever be made (democracy at its worst).

Even when I have been meeting in a small, small group (two or three people, including myself), someone always becomes the leader. This is natural.

However, people have busy lives which makes it hard for the leaders to pour their efforts into the group and prepare material to study. Our Bible study group in Dalwallinu went into recess during seeding and harvest because the majority of the group members were farmers. This is why it is ideal to have several leaders who can share the load, and for the established leaders to suss out who would like to have a go at leading.

Of course, those members of the group who don’t lead still have a role to play. I know I shouldn’t, but I do wonder why some people never contribute in groups; they come, they don’t say anything, and then leave, almost like they don’t really want to be there, and are coming out of duty. It takes a while to become comfortable to speak up in a new group, particularly if you don’t already know the group members well. But like the church is a body, quieter group members still have a role to play, whether it be bringing food to share, offering their home as a place to meet, following up with other group members during the week, emailing prayer points for various group members (if a Christian small group) to remind the group to pray for each other continually, and many other acts of service.

I know when I’ve had a go at leading in small groups, I’ve really appreciated those who are encouraging and tactful, and felt intimidated by people who want to ‘test’ me. Offering opportunities for budding leaders to be trained is vital to keep the group healthy in the long-term.

No comments: