Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Don't Rush Your Recovery

If you're depressed or suffering from another kind of illness, please don't rush your recovery.

Oh there will be pressure to.  People who were great supports in the beginning will develop compassion fatigue.  They'll become impatient for you to get well.  They'll assume because you're taking steps forward that you're completely well.  I think I've come to terms with the fact that my recovery will take a while, but when I feel rushed by other people I start to become impatient with myself.  Then I end up sliding backwards.

Please don't rush your recovery.

The word 'no' has become my new best friend.  No, I will not go on the roster for that thing at church.  No, I will not join that group.  No, I will not go out today.  I need to be actively involved in my recovery and I need to go out of the house, but I'm already doing that.  I try to pace myself.  But I will NOT be rushed by other people and the timeline they've set out for me.

Sometimes I feel like I'm more loved by some people for what I do than for who I am.

There is great pressure on Christians to do lots of things otherwise risk being labelled lazy.  Taking time out to recover well is not lazy, it's wise.  Yes, there is always a chance you will descend into laziness and use your illness as an excuse, but you will know when you're ready to crank things up a bit.  You'll just know.

Don't rush your recovery. That is all.

2 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

You are right, Sarah, take your time, it´s very important.
I went through this with my dear Bro and now he is happy again, taking time was more than worth it.
We have but one life...
Wishing you well!

Meredith said...

So right. You will just know. (And that fits in with our previous conversation on my blog. You DO just know.) Go well. One day at a time. Mxx