Thursday, May 24, 2007

Frustrations For Young Bloggers

Duncan and I are both young bloggers. By 'young bloggers' I mean anyone who has been blogging for a reasonably short period of time, not young by their age. Since a very low percentage of blogs reach their two-year anniversary, I guess a lot of bloggers out there could be considered 'young bloggers'. So far, I've been blogging for 11 months and Duncan for 3.5 months.

A couple of weeks ago we were talking on the phone about our blogs and the frustration we have with getting people to comment. Yes, I know, it's an all too familiar frustration for many bloggers out there. At first, I hardly told anyone about my blog for fear of what they'd think of it but gradually I'm starting to comment on more blogs and share the URL with friends of mine who aren't bloggers. Duncan has shared his URL with quite a few people he knows and he stated my very thoughts exactly when he said, "I know heaps of people read my blog but they never leave a jolly comment."

Why don't people comment? How do you get them to comment? Why do we as bloggers so often 'live' for comments? I enjoy blogging for the sake of it but often I've scrapped potential posts because I thought, "No-one will ever comment on that." I want to blog what I like and not simply for the entertainment of others (although I Do hope they enjoy what I write). I've found this issue cropping up time and time again as you see bloggers who once enjoyed posting about what interests them end up leaving the blogosphere because of disheartenment over their lack of comments. I can go for patches where I don't care so much for comments but then I look back at the number of posts that have '0 comments' on the end of them and feel a bit dejected.

Perhaps I'd have a huge ego if I had a massive readership and received dozens of comments? Perhaps being a very small dot on the blogging landscape is God's way of teaching me humility? It helps me blog for the right reasons and to really appreciate the readers I do have who comment regularly.

If you're feeling the same way about the lack of comments on your blog or variety of people commenting, remember this - lurkers outnumber commenters. Your readership is bigger than you think. Think about the number of blogs you regularly visit but don't comment on and you'll know that this is true.

Consider getting a site tracker installed on your site so you can see how many visits your blog receives and where you readers are coming from. Duncan and I both recently installed SiteMeter on our blogs and I've been astonished at the number of readers I actually DO have. Sure it's not many compared to some blogs but it's more than I thought. Not only do I have readers from Perth but I've also had visitors from the U.S., Canada, Bulgaria, France, Mauritius, Germany, Iran, Portugal and New Zealand. To any lurkers out there who are afraid of being exposed as my visitors - don't worry! I can only see what region you are from and your Internet Service Provider but I cannot find out your name so I can't track you down ;) But thanks for visiting.

Expose your blog to more people. Not just by word of mouth but join some blogging communities where other people you don't know can find your blog. A lot of traffic to my site comes through Photo Friday. Consider taking on the Photo Friday challenge if you haven't already. It's a lot of fun!!

Lurkers and commenters - thank you for visiting my blog. And lurkers, can I encourage you to leave a comment? Even if it's just to say 'hi'. Although I intend to blog about what interests me, I want to put a anonymous poll on my blog at some stage to see what my readers like best about my blog. Being a technologically-challenged person, it should be interesting getting it up and running ;)

12 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

I don't comment on every post on every blog I read because I don't always have an opinion to add. Don't be afraid to post stuff that won't attract any comment. Your readers still want those posts as a way of getting to know you better.

As to how to attract comments .... that's the big question.

Try asking questions. Once you've written your point of view on something ask your readers for theirs. Don't just assume that people will comment. Many people are waiting for you to prompt them.

Don't just say, "What do you think?", prompt a discussion. Ask "Is that how you react in those situations?" "When was the last time that happened for you?"

Ask a number of questions that will get people thinking then writing.

You'll always find that you'll get more lurkers than commenters but make it as easy as possible for people to comment. Let people know that you're not just dispensing a point of view, you're wanting a conversation.

Does that help? Have I given you some ideas you can use? Can you see yourself trying some of those ideas?

See what I mean? :)

Sarah said...

Yes, it does help, thanks. But getting people to comment is still a struggle. I've seen people asking great questions to open up discussion on their blogs...and still nothing much happens.

What you said about not commenting on every blog post you read is a good point. I do exactly the same thing. I enjoy getting to know more about the blogger but I don't have an opinion to add other than to say "that's nice" - and I feel silly saying that too often. I shouldn't expect my readers to always have an opinion either.

I've noticed a significant difference between livejournal and Blogspot bloggers and the comments they leave. Livejournallers will often say "that's nice" but Blogspotters will often refrain from commenting unless they have some significant comment to make. It's a bit of a generalisation but I've seen the difference quite a bit.

Another thing I just thought of is that it helps if the blog posts are as 'inviting' as possible. If I see a blogpost where the tone is fiercely opinionated but I disagree, I'll refrain from commenting in order to keep my head from being bitten off. I can still have my opinion but grace and blogging should go hand in hand.

Thanks for your input :)

Anonymous said...

I read every post you make via bloglines. I love your honesty and humour! Keep blogging.

Sarah said...

Thanks Amanda. I read your blog regularly too :)

Anonymous said...

Hi

I have a photo sharing site where we have members around the world who posts photos. There are places for comments. I post very few photos there, even though I am mad about photography. I like to leave the space for my members.

What I notice there is that many who "like" comments fail to leave comments for others.

There is like a golden rule to this that people fail to see.

Often these very same people (who don't like to comment) leave in a huff when people take little notice of them.

As the site admin and owner, it becomes a frustrating experience, almost dealing with children, on teaching them to play nice and treat others like you wish to be treated.

I think blogs can be around the same golden rule.

Exchange links.
Leave comments yourself.
Then of course, engaging topics as Rodney suggested, leaving the conversation open and ready for input.

Sarah said...

Hi Barbara
Thanks for visiting my blog and for commenting. What you say is true - blogging is a sharing experience and I know I'm trying to make more of an effort to comment on other people's blogs so they know what they write is read and appreciated. Of course, as Rodney said, I don't always have an opinion to add.

Anonymous said...

it sure can be a struggle! Whats even stranger is when you go from having an entry that gets HEAPS of comments...to getting nothing again for weeks!

Now i have entered the world of 'blogging for money' even more challenges arise. Getting people commenting and feeling a part of the blog is even MORE important!

Sarah said...

Blogging for money? How do you do that?

Yeah I agree that making people feel a part of the blog is important. You feel like crap when you make a comment on someone else's blog only to have them completely ignore you but respond to the rest of their comments. I'm going to make more of an effort to acknowledge the comments people make on my blog - unless they are being deliberately antagonistic and rude.

Sarah said...

Oh you mean the Aussie Green Thumb blog? I thought you were talking about some site where you get paid for blogging.

bek said...

i dont mind if i dont get comments as much as i generally am blogging for myself and to air things that i cant express and I have to put into words. half the time russell comes home and goes, "i get it now". its a bit sad...but thats just how i express myself.

its kinda like my journal, that all get to see!

mattnbec said...

I agree that there are far more lurkers than people who comment. I agree with Rodney. I usually just lurk because I have no comment to make, or am just not feeling articulate enough to say what I'm trying to say. I wonder if people have to lurk for a while to get up courage to comment.

Bec

Sarah said...

Hi Bec
Yeah I think you're right - people do lurk for a while on some blogs before getting the courage to comment. I've done that myself. Sometimes it's to do with how well I know the blogger (if at all). For example, I commented straight away on Duncan's blog but for a few others I lurked for a while then spoke up on a topic that I felt I had something to add to.