Monday, May 28, 2007

Get On Your Soapbox #4

Well, duh!

Yes, this post is about sarcasm.

Recently I've become more aware of the use of sarcastic 'humour' by myself and others. And I've realised they don't call it the lowest form of wit for nothing.

This is how the Macquarie Dictionary (2nd ed.) describes it:
saracasm - 1. harsh or derision or irony. 2. an ironical taunt or gibe; a sneering or cutting remark. (emphasis mine) (1991, p.1560)

It's not exactly described in glowing terms, is it?

I'll admit it - I have a real problem relating to overly sarcastic people sometimes. And notice I said 'overly sarcastic' people. That's because some sarcasm IS funny. I'm sure we've all laughed at American sitcoms where this type of humour is often what drives the show. But there's a line where funny stops. I've seen many sarcastic people cross that line and use their sarcastic tongues to belittle and tear down others. Or as the dictionary says - to make 'sneering or cutting remarks'.

There are a number of reasons why I find it hard to get on with sarcastic people. One is because they are so frequently sarcastic, the only way you can enjoy a joke or conversation with them is to be sarcastic back and I hate seeing that in myself. Secondly, you never know when they are actually being serious or being sarcastic so I don't quite know how to take them and I just sit there with a puzzled look on my face. And thirdly, I don't like being around people who just want to degrade me with their tongues to get a cheap laugh for themselves from other onlookers.

It's worth asking the question - why are some people nearly always sarcastic? What are they so insecure about that they must hide it with their acid tongues? It can be used as a form of bullying. I'm convinced that many sarcastic people tear others down because they are jealous and to make themselves feel better. Which is actually the opposite of what we're commanded to do, which is to build each other up and encourage one another.

No comments: