I never thought I'd make it to half a decade!
This bloggy celebrated it's 5th birthday yesterday.
What a ride blogging has been! I have 'met' many wonderful people and have a platform to air my opinions to the world (haha).
Here are some things I've learnt along the way:
1. If you want to understand a blogger, read their archives. Chances are you started reading someone's blog when they were already a few years into it, so some posts seem a bit odd. My tip is to read any old posts they link to and scroll through their archives at your leisure. Then what they're writing about may make a bit more sense.
2. Blogging is not a "I'll comment on your blog, now you comment on mine," kind of arrangement. I appreciate comments, I really do, but I am just not interested in some blogs. That's not a personal slur to them - it's just not my thing. I don't want to comment on blogs simply because they commented on mine; that's 'sympathy commenting' and I'm sure nobody wants that. I've learnt not to be offended if I comment on someone's blog regularly and they never pay me a visit at mine. That's just life.
3. You can write what you think is a brilliant post that's sure to get everyone commenting...and nothing happens. Then you can write a quick post about nothing and get half a dozen comments in no time. Sometimes you can guess who will comment on particular posts, and sometimes people comment on things you never thought would interest them.
4. Blogging is a great way to get things out of your system so you don't bore everyone with your rants in real life. If they read your blog, then they're choosing to listen.
5. If you want lots of comments on your blog, don't link it to Facebook. I haven't done this, but I can see it hasn't worked for some people. You're bound to quadruple your readership, but people tend to leave comments on Facebook rather than on the blog. Readers are notoriously evil when it comes to getting comments. They are great to help you keep up with many different blogs, but can lead to lazy reading where the reader neglects to click through to comment.
HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO THIS IS WHAT SED SAID (and enjoy your new header picture - it's actually a shed this time).