Monday, May 04, 2015

Disappointment

I received a rejection letter from the literary agent I sent my book to in the mail on Friday, and I spent the weekend trying to process how I felt about it.

I'm not going to give up.  I'm going to go through the rest of the list of the agents and send my book to others.  After all, J.K. Rowling had Harry Potter rejected by a publisher (yeah, I bet they're kicking themselves).

But, on the other hand, I need to pray about it.  When a setback comes all sorts of questions are raised.  The main one being:  Is this what God would have me do, or what I want to do?

Although I knew in my head that writing fiction is a tough industry and I should be prepared for rejection, it still hurts and it's still disappointing.  It's hard because most of the reputable literary agents in Australia seem to be female and a book about football might not be to their taste.

I spent Friday night laying it all at God's feet and pouring my heart out to Him.  He's not a remote God.  He knows how I feel.  After all, He knows what rejection feels like (albeit for a different reason).

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Sorry to hear this Sarah. What a blow. But good on you for pressing on, seeking out more publishers and especially seeking out God. One day at a time dear friend. Take good care.

Iris Flavia said...

Awww, so sorry, Sarah, that sure is very disappointing - good thing you don´t give up, though!
If it´s meant to be it´s meant to be, I sure hope so! xx