Friday, October 17, 2014

The Pendulum: Shopping Locally

There has been a 'Try Local' campaign in my local community in recent times, with the tagline 'it might just surprise you.'  I think it's to counter the popular belief that local is always more expensive if you live in a country town.  I know for a fact that it's certainly not always true.

Five years ago, when I was working in retail, I saw a dress for $40 in the shop I was working at.  I later saw the same dress at Harbourtown (Perth's direct factory shopping outlet) for double the price!  Harbourtown is meant to be cheap!

The trouble is that a lot of country people don't even give their local retailers a chance!  They don't even step inside the shop, they just assume that Perth or online will be much cheaper.

I try to shop locally where I can.  It's vital in a small town.  If you don't, it can have much wider reaching consequences for the town's population and infrastructure than it would if a city shop closed down.

But sometimes I don't shop locally.  If the employees are rude, the prices just ridiculous, or the goods and services really poor quality, then I will take my business elsewhere.


1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

Same here, where reasonable I buy local - a large city is a bunch of villages, no? I don´t mean the chains, there are local shops everywhere, at least over here...