Friday, October 27, 2006

Cover Those Ankles

Everyone's talking about that Muslim sheik in Sydney who apparantly made comments that if women are raped it is their own fault because of the suggestive clothing they wear. If you've been living under a rock or are technology-starved and don't know what all the fuss is about, you can read the story here. The sheik claims he was misrepresented. Although the media do twist words, everyone who recieves backlash about their views claim to be misrepresented these days. It's hard to tell who has been and who hasn't.

I was just at morning tea at work and all my workmates were talking about it. One of them made a joke about what I was wearing, saying in the Muslim view I would be a prime target for rapists. I'm wearing a sleeveless top and knee-length skirt. I used to live with a Muslim guy in student housing 4 years ago and I asked him once, while wearing a similar outfit, if what I was wearing who would be deemed inappropriate by Muslims. He didn't reckon it was but many Muslims have differing beliefs on some issues ie. some women cover their heads and some don't. So who's right? Maybe we should look into what the Koran actually says? I guess some issues get hazy for Christians as well.

Anyway back to the point. I guess it would be easy for most women to fly off into a feminist rant about what the sheik said so I'll just give a few of my thoughts. No-one deserves to be raped. Even if a woman is half naked and being very suggestive, two wrongs do not make a right. Although I do wish girls understood the struggles guys face when looking at a woman who is dressed inappropriately (ie. too short skirts, low cut tops). Christian women are always reminded of this and I do try to dress with the welfare of my Christian brothers in mind (not that I'm a hot babe or anything). However, I still think I'm a bit naive about the struggles guys live with.

I don't think what I'm wearing right now is inappropriate but I guess sometimes it comes down to conscience. This sheik apparantly said all women should be fully covered and stay at home. My boss reckoned what he said is actually an insult to men as well as it implies they are animals who have no self control at all. If a rapist is on the prowl, they often won't care what their victim is wearing. I don't believe God calls me to be fully covered with only my eyes showing.

There are now calls for this sheik to be deported. This shows that there are no such things as tolerance and free speech in Australia really. All it is is "you can say anything you like as long as it you don't claim it to be true and it doesn't go against what the majority of society thinks. I'll tolerate you as long as you're like me." No wonder Jesus is so controversial, claiming to be God himself.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the most balanced post I've read on the subject to this point. Well said.

Men are certainly the ones who are responsible for their own actions but women are also responsible for the way they dress.

No woman asks to be raped or assaulted but dressing appropriately shows that a woman has respect for herself and for those with whom she has contact.