Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Weddings Galore

2007 should be called the 'Year of the Wedding'. Seriously there are so many people getting married next year, it's unbelievable. I'm going to a least four weddings next year (and who knows who else will decide to get hitched) plus I know of friends of friends who are also getting married. Three of the four weddings next year have definite dates, here they are:
  • 20th January - Sarah and Craig
  • 27th January - Leanne and Jason
  • 12th May - Emma and Peter (this one I'm a bridesmaid for)

Plus my cousin Huw and his fiancee Anna are planning to get married in Sweden in early September I think. How exciting! My first trip overseas! I love weddings. Despite the fact that it's hard to be single sometimes, I still have lots of fun there celebrating with the bride and groom.

A couple of weeks ago, I ventured into territory I had never ventured into before - the bridal shop! Before now, I hadn't ever had a reason for going to one. No, I wasn't doing a Muriel - I went with Emma, her parents and Amy (who is also a bridesmaid) to help Emma choose a wedding dress. I was half excited, half apprehensive about going. Excited because Emma was and apprehensive because I was afraid it might trigger off a relapse of the singles blues, which I was so relieved to be out of for the moment. But it was fine. After visiting three bridal shops and trying on about 18 dresses, Emma had a shortlist of about five and I'm pleased to say that yesterday, she chose one. Obviously I can't say what it looks like cos she'll kill me (and with good reason) but I'm happy to say she looks very beautiful.

Being in those shops, I have to say I was shocked at the price of the wedding gowns. Guys, you would pass out if I told you. I'm such a cheapskate when it comes to spending money on clothes - I shop at op shops and off sales racks and I won't buy something unless I can wear it again. Personally, I wouldn't feel any peace about buying an expensive wedding dress if I was getting married. Now I'm not saying this to have at go at people, this is my own decision and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. It's their choice how much they spend. Yes, the dresses in those shops are beautiful but there are other options:

  • Op shops (ok it's rare you would find anything decent - most dresses are puffy-sleeved merangues from the 80s.)
  • Borrow a friend's wedding dress (it would depend on size of course.)
  • Buy a second-hand one from the paper or online.
  • Buy a normal white dress from a dress shop.

Yeah yeah I said I was a cheapskate. But I'm very much looking forward to going to all these weddings. Bring on the nice clothes, flowers, cake, music and dancing. Oh yes, definitely bring on the dancing!

3 comments:

bek said...

im a bit of a cheapskate too! i had my mum make all 4 of my bridesmaid dresses which was pretty hard cos i didnt have a pattern, i had an idea in my head, and i bought my dress from a second hand wedding dress shop and got a friend to alter it to how i wanted it to look - which was completely different from how it was when i bought it. it still cost a bit, but i felt better that i saved around 700-800 dollars!

Sarah said...

Cool. I forgot to add making your wedding dress yourself or getting someone you know to make it as another option.

Can you put some pics of your wedding on your blog? :)

bek said...

ive been trying! i want to, but im waiting for the father in law to finish scanning and fiddling and email them to me so i can put them up. as soon as i get them i will!