Sunday, December 24, 2006

Who's Jesus?

Christmas is only one sleep away and as everyone frantically finishes their shopping, I wonder if they really know what they're doing? By that I mean, has anyone actually paused to consider why they celebrate Christmas each year?

To some it is about family. To others it's getting smashed and having a good time. To others it's like an all you can eat buffet. And to still others it's about getting the ipod they wanted.

To me it's about the birth of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Saviour. Nowhere in the Bible are we commanded to keep Christmas, it's more a pagan holiday really. But it is a good time to reach out to people with the good news of Christmas - that God came to earth as a man and about 33 years later he died on a cross in order to reconcile people to God and to take the punishment we deserved for not living God's way. THAT'S good news.

But I too get distracted by what Christmas has become today. I wake up and look forward to receiving gifts (although not like I did when I was a kid), eating good food and having a relaxing holiday with family. These are all blessings but tomorrow I just hope I pause for a second to remember the greatest gift that God has given to all of us and thank him for it.

I was in Woolies in Albany the other day with my mum. It was pretty busy - stressed mums pushing trolleys full of food, kids whining about what THEY wanted. Carols were playing merrily in the background but I doubt anyone paid much attention.

Last night I went to Carols by Candlelight and I found myself looking out at the crowds singing such well known songs. Did anyone really know what they were singing? Or was it all just too familiar? Did the thousands know they were singing the gospel across the beach, that they were praising the Lord of heaven and earth?

May all Christians show love to others this Christmas so that they may know we are Jesus' disciples.

Lord, please have mercy on many people this Christmas - on the thousands in Albany who do not yet know you and everywhere.

Merry Christmas all :D

No comments: