Monday, July 20, 2009

The Bogans From Port

On the day, Mum and I went to Alberton, we had a look around the neighbouring suburb of Port Adelaide, one of Adelaide's historic areas. Traditionally Port Adelaide has had a reputation of being working class but apparently there are plans to revamp it and make it more like Fremantle with restaurants, cafes and buzz.

My auntie is a Crows' supporter but not a hardcore one. I found what she told me about the rivalry between Adelaide and Port Adelaide supporters very interesting. Basically Port tries to pass themselves off the club with tradition and representing the working class and they call the Crows' supporters 'chardonnay sippers'. Hmmmm that sure does sound like another bitter, jealous club we know ;)




Downtown Port Adelaide.






Much wider streets than Freo.
My very own building :)
The port.
They do dolphin-watching cruises here.
Hmmmm not the greatest photo of me!

5 comments:

Mark Edwards said...

I used to deliver pizzas around Port Adelaide for 12 months or so when I studied over there.
Its an interesting place, and I could tell you lots of stories about the sort of people who live there. So diverse! very wealthy to very poor, all within the one little microcosm of spit of land.
Surrounded by water, beautiful in parts, windswept jetty, old shops, old churches....

Sarah said...

Oh really, that's interesting. I quite liked the area but it doesn't feel like Freo.

Sarah said...

BTW what were you studying?

Mark Edwards said...

mmmmm...I studied at a very conservative Bible College. ACM
Great bible based teaching, but I have considerably changed my views on a lot of things since that time...but it was a great time in my life, and I did enjoy ACM.

Sarah said...

Is that Adelaide College of Ministries? My church seems to be very interested in graduates from there, I think because of a particular doctrinal view.