Monday, July 27, 2009

The Pendulum: The Hitchhiker's Guide

Hmmm, here's an interesting dilemma.

Eight days ago, after church, Duncan and I were about to head home after lunch when we noticed a guy probably in his early thirties sitting on a bench with a bag and a guitar. We assumed he was going to start busking but as we were getting into our car, he approached us and asked for a lift. I was already in the car by this stage and I froze when I heard Duncan's cheery voice say, "Yeah sure, no worries mate. Hop in."

This guy had hitched from Perth to Dalwallinu and was on his way to Geraldton. Duncan politely told him that he'd be better going to Geraldton via Brand Highway but that we'd take him to Wubin (where lots of trucks stop) and someone would surely pick him up from there. The guy asked where we were going and seemed to want us to drop him off in Buntine. Duncan talked him out of it by explaining that Buntine was more isolated and he was less likely to get picked up. Plus it wouldn't be fun waiting for hours in the rain.

It was the longest ten minutes of my life and although I tried to be pleasant and make conversation, I was shaking. You hear all these horror stories and just two months ago, a psychopath who bashed a Dally service station owner tried to hitch a lift with a local woman. The guy, as if reading my mind, said "Don't worry, I'm not a serial killer." He seemed nice enough and even offered to pay us when we dropped him off but Duncan refused because we were going that way anyway. It made me wonder though.....if he has money, why didn't he just get a bus?

After we dropped him off, I told Duncan how fearful I was and he said he only did it because the man approached him directly. If someone was hitching along a road, he wouldn't have stopped if I was in the car but, depending on the person, he might have if he were alone or with another bloke.

I've always been wary of picking up hitchhikers because, although many are harmless, there are always the unsavoury ones. Yet, I know some Christians (including women) who will stop for anyone and justify their decision by referring to Genesis 19 where Lot hosts the two angels and Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. In this case, giving someone a lift is not really 'entertaining' but they insist that they don't want to disobey Jesus in case he is setting a test for them.

The question I have is....should we consider personal safety or does that mean we aren't trusting God enough or aren't loving enough? Or is picking up a potentially dangerous person putting God to the test?

Please leave a comment with your views or vote on the poll on the right.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

My Dad picked up a hitchhiker once, actually twice that I can remember while us kids were in the car. Once we saw a guy who was trying to walk from Eucla across the Nullabor to Perth in 40 degree heat. He had one bottle of water so Dad picked him up. Second time was a lady with a baby. Not sure if I would do it though, I'd be like you, freaking out. I know we're not meant to worry but we do don't we.

Iris Flavia said...

I once passed a young woman in the rain. I didn´t pick her up since I was alone and she was a Punk.
I later felt sorry, but then again... you hear so many freaky stories!

Mark (under construction) said...

Sorry about that ... I wondered where I grab the picture from, it has now been acknowledged.

the sojourner said...

My Dad used to pick up hitchhikers regularly...and sometimes bring them home for dinner and a good nights rest. We had a caravan outside the back door- so sometimes they bunked in for a few days. some were awesome. some were a bit wierd. But when i got my own car Dad told me never to pick up hitchhikers :) If I'm alone- I'll only pick up women.
Here in africa it's a bit different. it's pretty much an every day occurance. again- i try and restrict it to women- but the policemen can be pretty persistant. The 'worst' thing I've had happen (here) is a guy offer to come live with me to keep me warm at night. i just laughed and told him this was his stop :)

Sarah said...

Hehehe that was so funny! :)