Friday, July 20, 2012

Diary of an Incubator: FAQs

Five years ago, I started the series Diary of a Wedding Planning Machine to record the highs and lows of engagement and wedding planning.

Now that I'm pregnant, I'm starting a new series....Diary of an Incubator.

Doesn't that sound exciting! ;)

One similar thing about getting engaged and being pregnant is that you get asked a lot of questions.  Mostly this is fine; people are just curious.  But five minutes after we got engaged, I was being asked about our wedding plans.  Where were going to hold the ceremony and reception?  How many people were we going to invite?  Ummm we got engaged five minutes ago!  Let us enjoy the moment.  Patience, people, patience.

So, I've decided to answer a list of common pregnancy-related questions...onces I've already been asked, and ones I'm anticipating in the near future.

Where are you having the baby?
You can't have babies in the hospital near where we live so we're going to have the baby in Perth.  Country women get asked to go away two weeks before their due date, so I'll be heading to Perth in early January to do the 'countdown' (in case the baby comes early).  That means I'll need to stay with someone for at least a fortnight.  Hmmm I'll be seeking out someone with airconditioning.

Public or private?
Private for the first.  We're very grateful to be able to go private.  I doubt we'll be able to afford it if (God willing) there's a second.  But finding an obstetrician was hard.  It's like some women book before they're even pregnant!

Are you having a boy or a girl?
Don't know and we won't be finding out.  We like surprises.  We thought we might be having twins since Duncan's mum is a twin and there are numerous other sets of twins in both families.  But, no, the ultrasound revealed there is only one (Duncan is very relieved).  The ultrasound revealed it IS a baby...not a monkey...or a dog...although the baby did look a bit like an alien.

Are you excited/nervous/*insert some other emotion here*?
Yes, all of the above.

Have you had any morning sickness?
Yes, although I haven't thrown up, thank goodness (I HATE vomiting...it's a phobia of mine).  I just feel nauseous on and off most days.  It's at its worst just before I go to bed (it should be called night sickness).  Having the flu made the sickness a lot worse.

How are you going with the low starch diet?
I'm not.  I'm off the diet.  I'll write a post about pregnancy and arthritis later.

Have you had any strange cravings?
Nope, nothing weird like icecream and gerkins.  I've just been craving dry, salty things like chips, pies, toast and vegemite etc.  I liked all of these things in my pre-diet days, and now I can have them, I'm making up for lost time.

Do you have a bump?
Yes, it's starting.

No doubt there will be more questions to add to the list as the months go by...

1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds like a great journey, thanks for sharing!
My SIL wanted no kids, now that she has a daughter, she wants two more :-)