Monday, October 08, 2007

Get on Your Soapbox #6

I won't have to think about this until next March probably but it annoys me all the same.

People who go to the football but aren't at all interested in football. Instead they just go to get drunk or to be 'seen'. You know, like the people who appear in the social pages of the newspaper, laughing in a fake way.

The last few times I've been to the footy (both in Perth and Melbourne) there were people there who were paying absolutely no attention to the game whatsoever. Teenage girls all dressed up, spending the whole time sending text messages. Or people who were just too blind drunk to see anything.

What's the point of wasting your money buying a ticket if you're not even going to watch the game? If these people want to get drunk so badly they should go and do it somewhere else instead of buying a ticket when someone who really really wants to go is being deprived of one.

I know of some people who score free tickets to AFL games through friends or family who are members or sometimes through work if their workplace sponsors the Eagles or Dockers. And the only thing they get excited about is getting sloshed off their faces in the corporate box.

If I had a spare ticket to give away, I would give it to someone I knew was a big fan and wouldn't have a chance to go otherwise.

4 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry to hear about that! Maybe you should make your way over here the next season and enjoy a football game (american, though) without such idiots!
So far I only saw one person too drunk to follow the game... and I guess she just made her first contact to "drinks", because you could see how embarrassed she was over the whole situation...

Anonymous said...

I can imagine this happening ... at Eagles games anyway.

Sarah said...

And at Dockers games. I know people who get free tickets to Dockers games...but don't give two hoots about the game....just the booze.

Mark Edwards said...

Well at the second derby of 2006, I sat between two 'slime' supporters.

By the end of the game they weren't interested at all in the football ha ha ha!!!

There was some old ladies knitting there though, and the wool was blue and gold...... :)