Friday, November 26, 2010

The Uncontactables

I do not understand why people set up for themselves:

• A landline
• A mobile phone
• An email address
• Facebook/Twitter/some other sort of social media

....if they don't want people to contact them!

I have made it clear before that I get very peeved indeed when I go to the trouble of making contact with someone, and try to keep relationships alive only to be ignored. I know a few people who have a phone, but never answer it. It's not because it's a bad time for them either, they said they just don't believe in answering the phone! Others get annoyed when people try to make contact with them in any form.

The way I see it is this: if you are setting up avenues of contact for yourself and giving those details to others, then you can expect to be contacted! If you want to be a hermit, fine, just don't sign up for these things. Why sign up for them if you're never going to use them? And I don't mean you should be enslaved to them either; I’m not suggesting you need to check Facebook fifty times a day! But if you don’t like them, and never use them, what’s the point?

If you don’t like these things, cancel them! Deactivate your Facebook account, cancel your mobile phone plan, shut down your email address. Having these things gives the illusion that you are contactable there, and I don’t want to be wasting my time.

I don’t get it. Please explain…

No comments: