Friday, November 05, 2010

Friday Focus - One Day at a Time


September was a crazy month for me.  The amount of stuff I had on was unbelievably daunting which made our trip up north in October even sweeter.

In September I had:
  • Netball finals and grand final.
  • Church outreach event and friends staying on the same weekend.
  • Assessments for TAFE, including an over the phone exam.
  • A visit from Duncan's parents.
  • My work's biggest field day of the year (plus other work stresses).
  • Checking out the new farm in Kojonup.
  • Dealing with situations/people which made me jaded.
  • Concussion resulting from hitting my head at work.
I think that's it!

It doesn't seem like much when I look at the list, but at the time it felt like I was at the bottom of a flight of stairs, gulping, and looking at the long journey ahead of me to the top.

September was a month of learning to rely on God, day by day.  I learnt that God is interested in the journey, and not just the destination.  I'm very much a destination person, and often I forget to enjoy the journey.  I was encouraged by Matthew 6:25-34 to rely on God for my daily needs, and to take each day as it comes.  I started to concentrate on the current day, and what needed to be done without worrying too far ahead.  If you take one step at a time, you will eventually get to the top, but if you try and jump several stairs at a time, you will fall.  God upheld me during that busy time when I could never do it myself.

I'm not saying we shouldn't plan.  If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll know I'm pro-planning.  If something requires two months worth of planning, then planning needs to start two months before the event.  What I AM saying is that we can't do everything in one day!  I think that's one reason why I burnt out during wedding planning.  I tried to do it all myself, and in unrealistic time periods rather than relying on God's strength.

October was a great time of rest, but now November is here, and Christmas and moving house are just around the corner, I'm starting to feel a bit daunted.  As I tackle the silly season, I need to remember to take it one day at a time.

If you would like to participate in Friday Focus and share what God has been teaching you lately, click here.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That IS a lot! I think this is something I need to learn too although I often can't focus too far ahead if there is what looks like a boulder in the middle of next week.

Iris Flavia said...

I´m having a hard time atm, too, to accept that we cannot do renovations/move too fast. A day at one time. It´s exhausting.

Sarah said...

Hang in there, Iris. Maybe writing a daily plan will help both of us. Then we can focus on a realistic set of tasks for each day and not worry about what is on the other days until we get to them.