I was a little kid in the 80s so I didn't really know much about her, and can only go on what the movie portrays. But there were several things this movie taught me about leadership...in any vocation:
1. Sometimes the most unlikely people make the best leaders.
2. Often leadership involves doing the best thing for the people as a whole, not individuals.
3. Leaders (good or bad) will always experience some sort of opposition - either from their own people or outside.
4. Leadership often involves taking a stand...and sticking to it.
5. That stand may well be the leader's defining moment...both as a leader and a person.