Saturday, March 10, 2012

5 Things Margaret Thatcher Taught Me About Leadership

While Duncan and I were in Esperance, we went to the local cinema a couple of times.  The first movie we saw was The Iron Lady.  It certainly was a well-deserved Oscar for Meryl Streep.  She was virtually unrecognisable as former British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher.

I was a little kid in the 80s so I didn't really know much about her, and can only go on what the movie portrays.  But there were several things this movie taught me about leadership...in any vocation:

1.  Sometimes the most unlikely people make the best leaders.
2.  Often leadership involves doing the best thing for the people as a whole, not individuals.
3.  Leaders (good or bad) will always experience some sort of opposition - either from their own people or outside.
4.  Leadership often involves taking a stand...and sticking to it.
5.  That stand may well be the leader's defining moment...both as a leader and a person.

1 comment:

Covnitkepr1 said...

I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation