Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quote of the Day

Our friends Amanda and Michael and their two girls left Perth on Sunday for their new home interstate.  We will miss them, but are happy that they have the God-given courage to follow Him wherever He leads them to do His work. 

I guess I'm becoming more used to goodbyes since I left Perth nearly four years ago.  I've become used to fleeting catch-ups once or twice a year, and seeing people's faces more on Facebook than I do in person.  Since I moved away myself, it seems wrong and selfish to tell a friend, "Don't go because I'll miss you," when they need to do what's best for them.

I love this quote.  When those important to you move on, it does leave a void.  But I would rather them go than to stay to make others happy.  And, God-willing, should we move again, I would like others to say, "Go well."

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged, that's all.  Their feathers are just too bright...and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice...but still, the place you live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone.  I guess I just miss my friend.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding (Morgan Freeman) in The Shawshank Redemption

No comments: