Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mad Hatters!

On Tuesday, I attended my first Melbourne Cup lunch. My workplace has one every year. It's held up in the staffroom, we get far too much food, go in the sweep and have a mad hat competition. Over the years, I have been very anti Melbourne Cup and last year I didn't attend the lunch. Despite being a big fan of National Velvet, I don't generally like horse racing (whipping is cruel, I don't care what anyone says), and all it is is an excuse for people to get drunk and spend far too much money on outfits and betting. Millions are wasted and that could be used to help the poor and needy. It's disgusting! Yet, I was challenged by Rodney Olsen's post to actually DO something with my money, instead of sitting on it and self-righteously condemning others who waste theirs.

So why did I attend this year? The mad hat competition of course! Two years ago I made a crazy hat for Jane's mad hat party for her 21st. It consisted of an upside down straw hat filled with straw and sitting in it was a chicken. No, not a live one. I got an old stocking, stuffed it with newspaper, shaped into a chook and put black tape all around it. Then I bought some feathers from Lincraft and superglued them all over the body, made a beak, eyes, comb and wattles out of cardboard and superglued them on too. Lastly, I stapled a big red ribbon to the hat that would tie under my chin. My fingers were covered with dry glue and bits of feathers but it was worth it. The hat made its second public appearance in March this year for Tammy's 30th. The Melbourne Cup seemed a perfect excuse for the now somewhat decrepit looking hen to sit on my head once again.

It may seem trivial but I felt the Melbourne Cup reminded me of my sin. I had been telling my workmates in the week leading up to it about my truly marvellous hat (although I didn't describe it) and how I was a certainty to win the prize for best hat, that NO-ONE could EVER bring a hat that was so creative and spectacular as mine. How arrogant of me! When I arrived one of my workmates was wearing a straw hat with a toy donkey stuffed through it. I thought it could be a potential rival but surely I was to win!

As it turned out, God convicted me of my arrogance and I didn't win. I came second. God was very kind and I got a box of chocolates as second prize. Not a good prize for my diet but I'll eat them slowly. The Melbourne Cup ended up bringing out my competitive streak that I wish I didn't have. But in the end, I found that I really didn't care that I didn't win and was happy for the donkey hat lady who won. Second was good enough for me. I still really like my hat. The whole thing just showed me how trivial I am.

I'm going to go and put my money on a goat!


At Jane's 21st in Nov 2004.


Caroline and I


Rohan, Sarah D, me, Jono, Tamba, Jane and Min


Ali and I at Tammy's 30th in March this year.

No comments: