Wednesday, November 01, 2006

My First Letter!

On Friday, I came home from work to find some mail for me from Compassion. It contained my first letter from my sponsor child, Rayssa. She's six (nearly seven) and is from Brazil. I've sponsored her since the State Youth Games in June this year and I wrote her a letter and sent her a photo of myself a few months back. The letter I received was written in Portuguese by a monitor since Rayssa can't write yet and was translated into English (obviously since I can't understand Portuguese). But it was fun trying to match up the Portuguese words with the English words. She sent me a very colourful drawing as well. It really brightened my day :)

I wanted to sponsor a child for ages but after finally getting around to doing it this year, I can honestly say if you've ever thought about it, it's a truly worthwhile thing to do. Although it was hard choosing one child out of so many that need our help, I would love to have the money to sponsor them all. Compassion is a great organisation - they are Christian and teach children about Jesus as well as providing them with practical things to help them beat poverty. I pray that Rayssa comes to know and trust Jesus and that poverty will be made history. It really makes me think about all the material stuff I have that I really don't need and how tempting it is to always want more.

I'm encouraged by the verse that Compassion use on their brochures - 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40. Every person matters to God and it's such a privilege to make a difference in one life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've been sponsoring children through World Vision for a number of years. It makes such a huge difference.